London Rifle Brigade, popularly known as the LRB, was formed as
the 1st London Rifle Volunteer Corps in 1859 and within a short
time consisted of fifteen companies. In 1908 the 1st Londons became
the 5th (City of London) Battalion, The London Regiment (London
Rifle Brigade) and as such served throughout France and Belgium
during the First World War. One member of the battalion gained the
Victoria Cross south of Wieltje, St Julien Road on 13 May 1915.
1937 the battalion left the London Regiment and was designated as
The London Rifle Brigade, The Rifle Brigade (Prince Consort's Own).
The battalion was divided as 1st and 2nd LRB in 1939. The 1st became
a motorised unit and in 1941 was redesignated as the 7th Battalion,
Rifle Brigade. After serving in Egypt, Libya and N Africa, the 7th
became a lorried infantry battalion while serving in Italy during
in 1939, the 2nd LRB later became the 8th Battalion, Rifle Brigade
and served in NW Europe throughout 1944-5.
title, London Rifle Brigade, The Rifle Brigade was once again assumed
in 1947, when the 7th and 8th Battalions were merged. In 1950 a
new title, 'London Rifle Brigade/Rangers', was adopted upon amalgamation
that year with the Rangers. This battalion is now represented by
part of the 4th (Volunteer) Battalion, Royal Green Jackets.